................................We are 8 quilters inspiring and challenging each other while having loads of fun playing in fabric!..........

Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Wall Hanging


Right now, it is 40" x 18".  I am liking it as a wall hanging, but will wait a couple of days to finish it until I decide.  So far, I have learned a few things from this project.
1.  It is important to pay attention to your light and dark values and make sure I get some contrast that adds excitement.
2.  Stripes and dots can work very effectively together.
3.  Tearing the fabric instead of cutting it with a roller blade saves time, but gives weak edges in loosely woven fabric.
4.  It is hard for me to stick with just five colors.
5.  I am easily discouraged when I forget that I am doing this for myself.
6.  I really love these colors and these fabrics, but I don't really want a big quilt of them.  A wall hanging is just perfect.
When I finish this, I will be hand quilting it with pearl cotton. 

4 comments:

  1. It looks so great as a wall hanging! I was thinking long and rectangular for myself, and thought I might make a pretty scarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what you said. Sometimes I tear, but I do use my scissors a lot... I also know, I don't like things "to linear"... I need angles... I love this as a wall hanging!
    that yummy RED in there is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things I like a lot about this wall hanging! Enjoyed reading your summary of things learned ... love it when pros share their insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stripes and dots together! But I'm not one who can tear my fabric. I have to use scissors or a rotary cutter. And I'm having to teach myself how NOT to be so symmetrical all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! We appreciate your KIND words! leave an email address if you want us to respond.