My mini is a bit over 12" x 12". I decided to use an orphan block I made a year or so ago because I didn't want to lose the tiny piece of fabric with the moth. The original block goes out to the gold corners. I don't know why I was drawn to this moth, but I think she is very lovely. I went through the stash and found some fabric I wanted to add, including the last of the Harvest Gold. I am such a throwback to the 60s sometimes.
Because I wanted this to be a learning experience, as well as just fun, I decided to add a flange (I think that is what it is called when there is a piece that is only attached on one side between borders.). I learned that I need to miter the corners of the flange and the next border to get the look I want, but I decided this time to leave it the way it turned out. My next new thing was to do some thread drawing with the machine.
The first thing I did was the little moth in the center. I used my favorite King Tut variegated. Then I did some meandering on the first border.
I had drawn in some little moths in the corner squares because I didn't feel confident enough to freehand them. I think they turned out pretty cute. The rest of the quilting is meandering.
I have hung this on my wall of minis. It is fun to have one of my own up there.