When I came up with this challenge, it was because I wanted to work within a limited palette, and try something that was sort of like a Gee's Bend style quilt. Then fear set in. What made me think I could pull this off? I found a palette I really liked and wanted to work with. I pulled some fabrics from my stash. Look at that fabulous Kaffe shot cotton red/orange. There are a couple of grey fabrics I won online. There are a couple of fabrics from thrift store garments, and a couple of pieces of batik. They sat on the table staring at me for a while, totally intimidating me.
Then, I decided to start tearing strips. That's right, tearing. Not cutting. Not slicing, Just ripping from a small clip to the end of the fabric. I am not sure if this will make a difference in the final product, but I thought I would give it a try. The torn strips sat in a nice pile for a few days while I pondered the next step.
I started out in log cabin fashion, then pieced a strip to add to one side. Until I saw this up on the wall, I didn't realize how many stripes and dots I had. I really need new glasses. The dark is a really nice rich purple.
This start is about 11" x 13" at this point. I think there will be more blocks like this joined by irregular strips. I would like it to grow to lap quilt size. So far, I am very happy with where it is going. I am very happy I overcame the fear to just dive in.